This dish was in the NYT best of 2022; Simple, Fast and Popular. Recipe by Kay Chun recommends chicken and I substituted it with cod and added a little seasonal vegetables to it. I am so loving the baby turnips this time of year. Delicious raw or slightly blanched. Amazingly sweet. This recipe is the most amazing and easy-to-prepare dish ever! Will not disappoint.
Time: 45 minutes
COCONUT RICE WITH COD & SPICY BROCCOLINI & BABY TURNIP
1 1/2 lbs of cod filets (approx. 5)
1/4 cup of neutral oil such as safflower (I used olive oil)
2 tspns kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
2 tblspns minced ginger
1 tblspn minced garlic
1 1/2 cups black rice *(lotus foods forbidden rice) rinsed
1 cup of water
3/4 cups of homemade fish or vegetable broth
1 can of organic full-fat coconut milk
1/4 cup chopped chives or scallions ( I love chives)
2 tblspns coarsely chopped cilantro
1 Bunch of Broccolini – clean and cut into 2-2 1/2 inches
1 Bunch of baby Turnip – cleaned and cut in half length wise
2 tablespoons Coconut oil
Chili pepper flakes
Hot sauce for serving
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Pat cod dry and season with salt and pepper.
2. In a *Dutch Oven (see photos) add 2 tblspns of oil over medium heat, stir in the garlic and ginger until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add rice and stir until evenly coated in the oil. Add broth, water, chives, a tablespoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and coconut milk. Stir to combine all ingredients.
3. While rice is cooking place broccolini in a cast iron pan on medium heat and simmer with a little water for 15 minutes. Watch closely, do not let it dry out. Add a little water to keep it moist. Meanwhile, in a saucepan cook the turnip on medium heat for 10 minutes. Strain and add to broccolini. Once all is slightly al dente turn off the heat and mix in a little chili pepper flakes and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
4. Place in oven covered and bake for 20 minutes then, add the fish on top.
5. Cover and Bake for another 10 minutes
Divide among individual serving bowls, and add the broccolini/turnip on top.
Finish with a sprinkle of cilantro. Serve with hot sauce ( optional )